Re: Where to Start

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:33:02 +0100

Two things.

First, a big recommendation for a comic I found the other week, just out from DC's Vertigo line: "Muktuk Wolfsbreath, Hard-Boiled Shaman". Very nice stuff, good use of shamanic tools and attitudes and plots, extremely Gloranthafiable. And artwork by Steve Parkhouse, always a treat.

Second, some chap called M. Manske sent me a garbled e-mail in some weird format which my Microsoft software couldn't open or reply to. But as the answers may be of general interest, I'll post it here and hope somebody finds it useful.

> When I was a kid (about 10 years ago) and still gaming, I played some
> Runequest and really liked it. So I decided pick up the special clearance
> RQ collection Avalon is selling. It's pretty cool and all, but I cannot
> find a single, all encompassing Glorantha guide, something that kinda
> gives you the complete picture. I got bunch of modules and detail certain
> areas, but that's it. Where can I find something like I am looking for?
>
> The products I got are the standard boxed set, Shadows on the Borderland,
> Lords of Terror, Sun County, Strangers in Prax, and something with a duck
> on it. I feel like I am missing alot of material, like a guide to the
Gods,
> etc. Any advice?

The three key products you're missing are:

	Gods of Glorantha (a pan-Gloranthan "guide to the Gods")
	Glorantha: Genertela (an overview of Glorantha's major continent)
	Wyrm's Footprints (includes articles describing most major pantheons)

The first two are Avalon Hill boxed sets, published some 10-12 years ago. Hunt around game shops and Internet auctions to find them. The last is a Reaching Moon/Chaosium co-production, reprinting some of the earliest (and therefore most formative) Gloranthan articles, and probably still available from Chaosium (check their website).

The other book you should look out for is "River of Cradles", which includes several of the most useful cult writeups for player characters, and complements "Shadows...", "Strangers..." and "Sun County" perfectly.

If you have no luck, don't panic: Chaosium plan to bring out a new one-book guide to Glorantha for Christmas this year. This won't be written for RuneQuest, or contain any rules-y material, but it should be a useful overview and intro for newbies. (Who are its target audience, after all).

David Dunham's fine website <www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> includes an article by me on "What to Buy First", which might be useful.

Nick
:::: web: <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>