Mysticism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 00:13:37 +1200 (NZST)

Julian Lord:

>> The Malkioni are Materialists pure and simple.

>So? Materialism is one of the things which can be transcended in
>illuminated thinking ...

But the Malkioni mainstream reject transcendental conciousness. The 'Hidden Mover' is stated to be Unknowable. Anybody who claims otherwise is a illuminated heretic.

Nils Weinander:

>As per the Hero Wars descriptions of the magic traditions
>mysticism is geared totally towards escape from the world,
>towards non-being. This makes me think that Kralorela
>needs some reevaluation too. The kind of mysticism which
>is completey cut off from the practicalities of life is
>of little use to the common man.

I don't think this is correct. As far back as CoT, mysticism (based on the eastern thought) was said to be based on piercing the illusions of reality and attaining the bliss of the void. Therefore the Kralori would claim they can do magic because they understand how the Cosmos is but an illusion (in complete contrast to the Malkioni who claim they do magic because they understand the Cosmos).

Yes, mastering mysticism means that the common man is left with bugger-all because he involves himself in the Real World for the benefit of his Betters. But the Malkioni Peasant is similarly shafted because he has to toil so that his betters can master sorcery and the Lunar Farmer has to work to pay his taxes to support the Temples, leaving him little time to master the secrets of the Red Goddess.

In the cases of the Lunars and the Malkioni, their faiths provide the peasants with incentives to keep working at the farm with a chance at salvation. IMO the Kralori would do likewise. The common farmer or worker would be taught mystical exercises to help them uncover the illusion of their imagined toils.

>In fact, a nation which depended on mysticism as its primary
>world view/magic would soon be invaded by its neighbours.

That happens to everyone irrespective of world views as far as I'm aware. Kralorela has maintained its mystical worldview despite the invasions of Sheng Seleris and the God Learners because the two saw more value in adopting mystical views than they did in extinguishing it.