Teleos

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 00:28:22 +1200 (NZST)

Erik Nolander:

Me>>IMO the 'Yelm Influence' merely means that they worship Sky Gods
>>in Teleos rather than foreign Yelm (or Somash for that matter)
>>worshippers in Teleos.

>Yes, it would seem that way to me, too. Perhaps they are worshipped in
>the same way that Simon described.

Probably.

>Come to think of it, some sky gods are already in there. But what about
>Yelm? Could he be worshipped in some form, do you think?

It depends by what you mean by 'Yelm'. If you mean the Sun, then yes, the Teleosans would have worship or acknowlege it in some manner. But if you mean whether the Teshnans worship Yelm, the Sun God of Peloria, then the answer is no. But if you mean whether Somash, the Sun God of Teshnos, is worshipped by the Teleosans then my answer is no - I do feel that Melibic traders in Teleos would worship Somash.

>>Similarly I regard the 'Eastern Influence' as being indicative
>>of a native high tradition that survives in pieces in modern Teleos.

>Assuming that the Teleosans are of Kralori origin, that is. I find it
>hard, though, to see which gods or traditions that would be
>worshipped/followed from the pantheon.

The 'Kralori origin' of the Teleosans looks more and more like a phantom to me. It stems from an answer Greg gave about Teshnos in the RQ2 Con compendium and even then there is a strong sign that he has gotten mixed up. Looking at Runequest III Book 5, I see that Teleos was settled by _southerners_ who followed the Barankoom current.

Hence I do not think the Eastern influence stems from the origins of the Teleosans. I was thinking more of the influences the Teleosans would have received from trading/raiding with Teshnos, Kralorela, Vormain and the Eastern Isles in bygone ages (there would also be some Masloi influences). These influences would have helped create a synthetic high Teleos tradition during the early second age (before the God Learner's attempts at conquest). When the God Learners arrived, coastal Teleos was dominated by this tradition which they grouped under 'Eastern'. But after the fall of the God Learners and the destruction of the Coastal Teleosans, the high Teleos culture survives in fragments amidst the jungles. Hence the 'influence' in GoG.