Kallyr the Colymar

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 14:29:33 EDT

Bruce Hollebone:

<< I've chosen to go with the Anmangarn, the "black spear" tribe of the Colymar. They probably do have a strong connection to Urox though---they are famous for their black bulls (KoS, p207.) In the absence of of any other information, I've put the Anmangarn on the boarder with the Torkani, right against the base of Mount Quivin.>>

     But the Colymar don't border Torkani lands, so this can't be right. Neither do the Torkani live next to Mt Quivin; their southern border runs along the Dogbone Hills just north of Torkan's Vale (which is Telmori territory).

<<This is based on a brief mention of the clan taking the ransom for travel
through Colymar territory after the tribe of Malan passed through Torkani lands.>>

    When this happened, the Torkani lived much further south than they do today. A series of defeats pushed them north, first to Torkan's Vale, and later to Goodfarm Vale and the forests south of the Indigo mountains. This is expanded on in my brief history of the Torkani at http://members.aol.com/ttrotsky/torkani/queen.htm and in an article submitted for Heroes of Wisdom #2. However, I didn't invent this aspect of the history; its pretty clear from the maps in Questlines #1 and the details in KoS.

<<Anyway, my Kallyr may or may not be the Kallyr. I haven't decided yet.>>

     Unlikely, as she was a member of the Kheldon tribe.

<< Is there any room in your theories for multiple Kallyr's?>>

     'Kallyr', unlike 'Argrath', is AFAIK an actual Orlanthi name; there may be a number of women called Kallyr, some of whom may well be warrior types. However, there doesn't seem any grounds to suppose that more than one person has been conflated in the historical accounts to produce the Kallyr Starbrow in KoS. Argrath is different, because its just a title meaning 'liberator', and hence will, almost by definition, be used for many people central in the expulsion of the Lunars. Technically, it might even be possible to call Kallyr an Argrath... (unless there's a separate word for 'liberatrix' in Theyelan).

<< A Kallyr of the White Bull perhaps?>>

     Black Bull, surely? :-)

 Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky