Re: Mysticism

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 21:04:28 +0200

Me:

> >As per the Hero Wars descriptions of the magic traditions
> >mysticism is geared totally towards escape from the world,
> >towards non-being. This makes me think that Kralorela
> >needs some reevaluation too. The kind of mysticism which
> >is completey cut off from the practicalities of life is
> >of little use to the common man.

Peter:

> I don't think this is correct. As far back as CoT, mysticism
> (based on the eastern thought) was said to be based on piercing
> the illusions of reality and attaining the bliss of the void.
> Therefore the Kralori would claim they can do magic because they
> understand how the Cosmos is but an illusion (in complete
> contrast to the Malkioni who claim they do magic because they
> understand the Cosmos).

I agree completely. And the description of Hero Wars says that mystics can indeed do magic. But it also says that they normally don't because that involves them again with the world they intend to leave. So, mystcism isn't quite what I have thought it to be.

I have used a somewhat taostic model for eastern magic/ mysticism: transcend the boundaries of the Many through inner and outer balance and integration. I have recently learned that this is wrong. Mysticism is about non-being and has no practical use.

> chance at salvation. IMO the Kralori would do likewise. The
> common farmer or worker would be taught mystical exercises to help
> them uncover the illusion of their imagined toils.

To some degree I assume this is correct, but the peasants are probably mainly worshippers rather than mystics.

> Kralorela has maintained its mystical worldview despite the
> invasions of Sheng Seleris and the God Learners because the two saw
> more value in adopting mystical views than they did in extinguishing
> it.

Or because the Kralorelans didn't depend solely on mysticism and thus weren't totally overrun, but just temporarily ruled by foreigners.

Now, personally I prefer the scenario you paint, but current information about mysticism has made it less likely.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/