Arachne Solara

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 03:20:09 +0200

Simon Hibbs answers Ian Thomson :

> >Arachne Solara and the various
> >incarnations of the Trickster are both said to be apart from the >God's
> Compromise: the Spider Goddess because she co-ordinates >the compromise,
> and Trickster because no oath or rule can bind him.
>
> I'm not sure about trickster, but the idea that Arachne Solara is not
> bound by the very oath which she forged is a bizzare one at best.

She is the oath-binder. She is bound by her promise to uphold the oath, yes. BUT, she isn't caught in her own Web.
She scuttles around on it though, and is unhappy when it unravels. She has, then, a kind of ecological relationship with the Compromise. She isn't bound by it, and can act with free will, but if she doesn't make sure it's in a reasonable state of repair, down she falls into the Well of Chaos.
Also, everyone else (well, almost everyone) is in the Compromise, so if she does anything it's easier for her to do it IN the Compromise than OUT.

> >Perhaps there is a link there, as this is similar to the origin of
> >Nysalor himself, to which Arachne Solara so strenuously objected.
>
> Did she?

Yes, she did.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #672