Keith's questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 23:19:39 +1200 (NZST)

K Nellist:

>Does Argrath really just mean Liberator? I thought that it came to mean that
>because of Argrath's actions, like Caesar came to mean ruler despite starting
>as a nickname.

You're partially correct. The first liberator was Arkat and 'Argrath' is a Orlanthi corruption of his name and means 'liberator'. It may also mean liberator in Malkioni but I'm not so sure.

>I have a question about Kralorela, the Land of the Rising Pun. Am I right in
>thinking that places and people like Chi Ting (Cheating), Kaisen (continuous
>improvement), Pai Raow (pay row), Godunya (Good On ya (Australian greeting)),
>Suam Chow (refering to sea food?) are deliberate plays on words.

Perhaps.

>If so, which other places/people have I missed?

Read Edward Lear. Steve Gilham has written a letter in ToTRM#11 which details some of the borrowings. Koromandol is actually Coromandol, a place in India, which figures prominently in his poem 'The Courtship of Yonghy-Bonghy-Bo' (see Nick, I can spel it rite!). It's also the name of a pennisula in NZ and I noted the resemblence with the place name in glorantha. But I couldn't figure out the connection until I read Steve's letter.

And the guy who drew the pictures is surnamed Brooke. And no, it's not a coincidence.