Mysticism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 00:21:26 +1200 (NZST)

Nils Weinander:

>And the description of Hero Wars
>says that mystics can indeed do magic. But it also
>says that they normally don't because that involves
>them again with the world they intend to leave. So,
>mystcism isn't quite what I have thought it to be.

Likewise the practitioners of the other modes of magic are hemmed in with flaws, restrictions and geases about how they can use their magic. Thus IMO there is nothing new in this.

>I have used a somewhat taostic model for eastern magic/
>mysticism: transcend the boundaries of the Many through
>inner and outer balance and integration. I have recently
>learned that this is wrong. Mysticism is about non-being
>and has no practical use.

Illumination and Draconism are forms of Mysticism and yet have some practical use and are not concerned with non-being. The dominant kralori philosophy *is* concerned with non-being but I do not believe that we can say that it has 'no practical use'. Its usage requires a highly organized society to exploit successfully but that differs little from the Malkioni exploitation of sorcery, frex.

>> IMO the Kralori would do likewise. The common farmer or
>> worker would be taught mystical exercises to help
>> them uncover the illusion of their imagined toils.

>To some degree I assume this is correct, but the peasants
>are probably mainly worshippers rather than mystics.

Methinks you're assuming that prayer = theism here. Mystic deities are known in Peloria (such as Dayzatar, the Red Goddess and Primoltus) so worshipping the gods does not entail theistic worship. I think the Kralori peasants in worshipping the gods would follow a variation of Devotion (cf enclosure #1 p58) in their life.

Furthermore nations with a 'mystic' viewpoint have existed successfully in the RW. Burma is the most obvious example (I omit China and Asoka's Empire because they are heterogeneous in composition).

>> Kralorela has maintained its mystical worldview despite the
>> invasions of Sheng Seleris and the God Learners because the two saw
>> more value in adopting mystical views than they did in extinguishing
>> it.

>Or because the Kralorelans didn't depend solely on
>mysticism and thus weren't totally overrun, but just
>temporarily ruled by foreigners.

They _were_ totally overrun. And to call the 350 year long FDR occupation of Kralorela 'temporary' begs the question of just what it takes for an occupation *not to be temporary.

>Now, personally I prefer the scenario you paint, but
>current information about mysticism has made it less
>likely.

Methinks you are being unduely pessimistic. The aim of the Hero Wars was to describe Glorantha and not to rewrite it totally.