Anmangarn Clan Area & Rural Sartar.

From: Bruce Hollebone <hollebon_at_cyberus.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 14:55:38 -0400

Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>:
> Anmangarn: area around Tarndisi's Grove, between the Starfire Ridges and
> the Thunder Hills.

I will cheerfully admit that I misinterpreted the Colymar write-up in KoS. Foolishly, I hadn't carefully worked out the full migrations of the tribes through Quivinland and thus assumed that the Torkani were the south-western neighbours of the Colymar. Of course, I found the Questlines article only this last weekend. *sigh* Now I have some ret-conning to do.

I have some assumptions I'd like to check, if people don't mind.

David Dunham notes that historical agricultural densities are 1-2 people/sq. km for dry farming and up to 6-12 people/sq. km for irrigated land. (See: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/facts/food.html )

The Questlines article has 18,000 Colymar on a package of land about 60 by 100 km (pre 1613). Assuming that 50% of the land is arable (overly generous perhaps) this gives us a population density of 6 ppl/sq km, excluding the added load of towns and cities. Even including a fertility bonus of 10% from Ernalda (or whomever), this would mean that the Orlanthi have a pretty sophisticated irrigated agricultural system and are fairly densely packed in their farming vales. Apparently, Tarsh is the richest province of the Empire, so I assume that Sartar is also fertile, even though it is mountainous.

So, given the populations in Questlines, a clan would be about 1000 to 1200 people, living in about 200 nuclear family units/steads, each farming 1 to 2 sq km (250 to 500 acres). Presumably, much of this is odal pasture lands, with smaller irrigated grain/alfalfa/fallow fields in a multi-year rotation and small market gardens. Irrigation and cattle both mean ready souces of water, brooks and streams from Skyfall Lake and/or Creekstream River.

So, rural Quivinland is a rich country of heavily farmed, fertile farm valleys watered by innumerable brooks and streams. The cattle graze in the valley floors, the sheep on the hill sides and the goats in the unpopulated moors on the hilltops. It sounds a lot like Wales or Nova Scotia, but decidely more fertile.

How does that sound?

Bruce.

Bruce hollebon (at) cyberus.ca