Secret Arkat.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 00:55:22 +0100 (BST)

Peter Metcalfe:
> I think all Arkati cultists are 'illuminated' (bear in mind that
> this is not Nysaloran Illumination). When they seek out Gbaji to
> destroy him, they mostly encounter other Arkati Cults (who return
> the favour). This is the major reason why the Cult of Arkat is
> splintered in Ralios.

I think much of what you have to say, above, is sound, but I don't think the first part is 100% kosher. Firstly, I think Greg has indeed said that several Arkat cults have a sort of 'inner core' of "illuminated" (caveat strongly agreed with) members, with a more 'normal' membership outside. More likely the outer group simply hasn't got 'in' yet, rather than being hapless dupes of the cabal, though.

Secondly, some Arkat cults seem to have nothing much to do with "illumination" at all -- the Black Arkat of Heortland, for example, and I suspect the most obviously theistic manifestations in general.

It's tricky to say what is or isn't "Arkati illumination", since not only is it un(der)defined in rules terms, I think Gloranthans can't really pin it down with much more success. This may be partly to do with the "brokenness" of Arkatism generally -- after the Dark Empire falls, each remnant gets left with their own little piece, which doesn't necessarily much resemble anyone else's. If you look at it like that, perhaps even the Arkat Kingtroll/Black Arkat mob have a piece of "Arkati illumination", but the only "power" they manifest is the one that enables them to perceive and manipulate sorcery is if it were divine magic.

Slainte,
Alex.