Mysticism

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 10:16:35 +0100

> From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
> I have used a somewhat taostic model for eastern magic/mysticism:
> transcend the boundaries of the Many through inner and outer
> balance and integration. I have recently learned that this is wrong.
> Mysticism is about non-being and has no practical use.

I think that the problem here is that mysticism is a completely different approach to magic than the conventional theistic or malkioni paradigm.

Occidental magicians focus on magical effects which they can cause to occur. They hope that these effects will cause changes which are beneficial or desirable. The focus is on the magical effect.

Mystics focus on the new state they desire the world to be in. They focus on the outcome. The means to the desired end are not conciously considered. Through meditation they make themselves a vessel through which this imagined new state of the world can come to be.

In doing this the mystic must sublimate their personal will. This is what mystics mean by non-being. The Ki skills system in Land of Ninja is a very good implementation of this philosophy in game terms. I don't think that the traditional RQ game mechanics for spell casting and causing magical effects, particularly POW vs POW rolls, are suitable for mysticism.

Simon Hibbs