Meanings of names

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 19:12:47 +0100

My guess would be that almost all names have, or used to have, a meaning. This seems to be the case in the RW (though often the language from which the name is derived is now so far in the past that we don't recognise the meaning anymore.)

> In this sense 'Kallyr' presumably has a meaning of some kind,
I tried to figure it out once. If you assume that anything with a "llyr" in it must have RW Celtic roots, and look things up on the basis of the "stick two words together irrespective of grammar" principle, it means "the wise/prudent one". Which is ironic enough to appeal to my twisted sense of humour.

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #676