Alkothi question

From: MLaurie_at_compuserve.com
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 06:51:32 -0400

Fabian asks:
>I am starting to GM a campaign set in Alkoth (way to cool place) and I
>need some more information how to generate Shargash/Alkoth PC=3DB4s.
>Is there a possibilty to provide information - like skills, favored
>traits, favoured clothing and so on? Pam? Martin?

I commend your bravery. Alkoth is no place to approach lightly! :)

Hmm, we were going to do Pendragon Pass character basic skills but the immanent arrival of HW kind of derailed that. However, basic skills are actually
similar to the Theyalan barbarian for the normal Shargashi. Mace is swapped =

for Sword, other differences are cultural and inferrable from the materia= l
already published - ie the agriculture is rice fields, not cattle, its an=

urban centre with a population approaching half that of Sartar itself etc= =2E =

The nobility have a peculiar mix of Yelms Pantheon but subtly different. =  A
Yelmie in Alkoth is actually a follower of Bijif Yelm or Dead Yelm and so=

they are somewhat more mournful and dour than a normal Yelm priest. In fact, they are somewhat scary to the normal Yelm follower as they live in=

the Yelm version of hell.

Even the Buseri in Alkoth are odd. Most are extremely violent in a weedy= ,
non-physical way - they have large, bulky friends and cousins to bash and=

burn those who displease them.

Dress is togas of various lengths as mentioned in Pams "What My Father To= ld
Me" section in Enc 1. =

Oh, offically, I got the wall size wrong. Greg told me that the walls ar= e
100 YARDS high and the area inside is a mile across. I mentioned in wonderment that this would make the wall the equivalent of a thirty story=

tower block in height! To which Greg pointed out that it was Shargash's girdle so what did I expect??? =

One thing I must emphasise when playing in Alkoth - the whole city is an Enclosure - it is literally IN the underworld and the dead are all over a= s
are demons, spirits and whatever else is left over from the garbage of a thousand wars and crushed deities bound in servitude. For an outsider th= is
place is damn scary. Its an unliving nightmare...

What is the contect of your game Fabian? I can help you better with basic=

knowledge of your intended PCs.

Martin Laurie