More boring linguistics ...

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 00:00:37 +0200

Peter Metcalfe:

> Grandfather Mortal's lifetime is what most gloranthans consider to
> be the good old days. But even in those days, people spoke different
> incomprehensible languages.

Well, family reunions must have been quite something in good old Pappy Mortal's homestead.

> There was no pre-Babel Tower period
> where all spoke Mantongue IMO.

Your contention goes against the entire corpus of world mythology regarding the first language, including current linguistic theory, which also says that humanity, having originated in a single place, originally had only one language. Plus, Greg has sed, which is enough for me.

> Seshnegi is as close to Brithini as French is to Latin.

Seshnegi is as close to Brithini as Old French is to Medieval Latin, yes.

> But I
> would doubt your contention that Tradetalk is derived from Seshnegi.
> I think it more like a teletubbled pidgen version of Stormspeech.

Greg sed different.

> I strongly doubt that spiritspeech exists and think that most spirits
> would speak the language they spoke when alive if they can speak at
> all.

Oh, come on Peter! Spiritspeech is mentioned by several *quite* authoritative sources, including some OOP ones ....