Goat-free zones.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 05:04:12 +0100 (BST)

Jeff Richard invokes Rule #4 on Bruce H.:

> Great description, just one complaint - No goats.

Not a particularly telling complaint, as Bruce said on _unpopulated_ muirs. This is a bit of a Hardy Digest Perennial, of course. I think such concensus as there has been on the subject tended towards there being goats in Sartar (et al), but nevertheless that "pious" (insert required degree of piety to taste) Orlanthi will refuse to eat, herd, or even tolerate them. To me this suggests a couple of things:

	o  There are at least a few goats in Sartar that are
	   genuinely wild;

	o  People farming marginal land in very hilly areas will
	   very likely keep them, and bugger religious Orthodoxy
	   in such matters.  These may be either (or both, in
	   different locations) "normal" Orlanthi who don't have the
	   luxury of the normal scruples in such matters, or
	   "off-Orlanthi", clans or sub-clans with non-mainstream
	   practices which legitimise such aberrance.

A useful tag for mountain-dwelling, goat-keeping, applejack-brewing deviants might be "Inora worshippers", but that just's a rough and ready approximation which I'm sure can be greatly refined and improved upon by those who have done, or will do, more detailed work on such clans.

If this seems too large a variation from the Orlanthi norm for anyone, bear in mind how strange some _known_ exemplars are, such as the Torkani, Kitori, or come to that the Far Point Elmali.

Slainte,
Alex.