Orlanthi Love Farm Animals!

From: Bruce Hollebone <hollebon_at_cyberus.ca>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 00:51:54 +0000

Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com> writes concerning Sartari farm practices:
 >Don't forget the pigs, though!

I was not certain that domestic pigs existed in central Genertela. Wild boar yes, pigs no. Pigs are nice, but not neccesary for the Orlanthi way of life, so I left them out of my model.

>...Not unless the clan
>is really really really desperately poor. Contrary to the goat-meat
>paddies mentioned in Apple Lane, the Heortling Orlanthi have a
>serious dietary taboo about goats. Pigs yes, goats no.

Well, all I can say is that I disagree with you. We have goats. Goatherds are the lowest of the low, but goats graze on the moors. Heck, just this last week we had a major showdown on the moor above the sinister little Elmali[*] hamlet of Black Rock.. The moon was red and so were the little monsters' teeth.... Oh yes, we have goats.

Besides, goats are on the fringes and easier prey for chaos things. Hence you most commonly get goat-broos and only very rarely see cattle-broo. Cattle are much better defended and harder to get to near the steads. This also makes mythic sense: Ragnaglar was married to the goat goddess, while Urox Chaosbane is most stongly associated with cattle. Therefore, goats are close to chaos, cattle are its foes.

[*]By the bye, some connections: The Anmangarn are the Black Spear clan---spears are obviously a clan weapon. Where do you get socially acceptible spear training? The clan chieftain, Gwoda Firmhand, Red Daughter and Orlanth Rex, takes one Orleg Jarangsson, Light Spear, as her lawful Esrolian husband. Elmali have always been part of the Anmangarn, I suspect.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> writes:
>> The cattle graze in the valley floors
>
>Only part of the year -- check The Haunted Ruins and you'll see that
>Sartarite clans practice transhumance.

Could you expand on this please? I do not have this reference.

Bruce.