Esoteric wisdom

From: Jose Ramos <jose_at_kobo.es>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 14:26:11 +0200

Peter made some interesting points on the arkati magical ecology in Ralios. Very imaginative and feels right. IMO the arkati are just the most prominent of the safelstran widespread secret societies. In Ralios you have also splinter sects, deviant versions of the neighbouring cities churches, and old remnants of the pre-GL, pre-Arkat Ralios, such as the Loons, or the Gold Horse brotherhood, or the keepers of Hrelar Amali. Of course this are the groups that survived the GL crusade, the fall, the tanisorian invasions, and infighting for a thousand years. The actual organizations are very different from the originals.

I like a lot the Esoteric Arkatism idea. However I don't like the "Arkati ritual" concept as an unifying heroquest experience. Instead, I think that all the arkati societies try to manifest one or more of Arkat's aspects.

The better you represent one aspect, the better you can defeat another one, but the more easily a superior aspect can beat you. Arkati who have got an inkling of the real situation try to master as many aspects as possible. As each sect has small differences on the aspects they represent, you may need to pass through several cults to become a capable arkati.

The rest of the mechanics are quite right. You try to force your opponent in a losing role (Gbaji or Gbaji-like).

It may even become a normal ritual to settle disputes and religious arguments, where only the arkati with enough knowledge get to see the real fight. The rest only see the outcome, or some weird effects.

For other illuminates, many of them live the Arkat the Illuminated Hero, a respected aspect, the hardest to beat, but a non-combative one. Many Lunars, however, risk representing Nysalor the False God, a valid target. That will be tough.

The Arkat Kingtroll cult has a weak aspect, but it enables its holders to use sorcery as a divine tool. But unless greater knowledge is available, they are easy prey for the hardened arkati. Of course the other trolls are inmune and bent on revenge...

Just a few comments, and how I intend to adapt your great idea in my campaign. So, if you disagree, please say so quickly.

Jose