Re: pigs; language

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 09:33:13 -0800

Bruce Hollebone

> >Don't forget the pigs, though!
>
> I was not certain that domestic pigs existed in central Genertela.

What, haven't you read any of Korol Sure-strike's famous pig poems?

Pigs are documented as sacred to Ernalda, who's a pretty domestic goddess. We figure the pigs are allowed to forage in the woods and wildlands at the edge of a clan's fields.

> [*]By the bye, some connections: The Anmangarn are the Black Spear
> clan---spears are obviously a clan weapon. Where do you get socially
> acceptible spear training?

Orlanth the Warrior is a good start. Elmal is always possible, of course.

I'm beginning to think you haven't seen Enclosure 1, which has quite a bit on how Jeff and I see the Dragon Pass Orlanthi.

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> it has been learned that Firespeech is not spoken
> by 'salamanders and birds' universally but is your everyday Dara
> Happan tongue - which implies that salamanders in Teshnos or Faladje
> do not speak firespeech (assuming that they could speak at all).
> Likewise Earthtongue has been revealed to be the Esrolian Language
> and Stormspeech is not spoken by mammals as claimed by RQ2

Hmm, I've missed most of these developments. Can you remind me of the sources?

> some RW
> languages are pretty static (such as Icelandic and Greek)

It's my understanding that Greek had a big vowel shift; modern Greek doesn't really use all the classical vowels.

I wonder if the sagas have anything to do with Icelandic -- saga reading was a big part of the long winter, and hearing something that was written down years ago might help preserve the old styles.

Incidentally, one reason so many Icelandic sagas survived was not only their popularity as entertainment, but also the agricultural cycle, which meant that many animals couldn't be wintered. So the fall slaughter was larger than in many lands, and there was a correspondingly larger supply of vellum, to write them on.