Languages, Last (phew!)

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_hol.fr>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 19:12:38 +0200

> Tom Zunder
>
> Hey! I would like to suggest that some 'one true way' is creeping in
> here. MGF dictates that you're both right and that only in the context
> of the game can the truth be hinted at. Inclusive, missionary and
> imperialist cultures will probably suggest that there is a root to it
> all, exclsuive, tribal and insular cultures (most of Glorantha) will
> probably scream 'God Learner' and burn the above named heretic.

Yeah, you're right. I hope this'll be my last post to this thread.

Peter Metcalfe)

> >Also, the God Learner Secret is one sentence of Tradetalk.
>
> Could we have the source for this, please? Or perhaps you could start
> putting IMO in your speculative statements?

Even when they are obviously so?

> Me>> But even in those days, people spoke different incomprehensible
> >>languages.
>
> >Well, family reunions must have been quite something in good old Pappy
> >Mortal's homestead.
>
> Well given that the book 1 of G:CotHW does state that Grandfather
> Mortal was the invention of the God Learners, I see little reason
> to believe in the existance of a _historical_ grandfather mortal
> speaking mantongue.

One reason exists: if you like it that way. Can't think of another one, but this one is
enough IMHO.

> >> There was no pre-Babel Tower period where all spoke Mantongue IMO.
>
> >Your contention goes against the entire corpus of world mythology
> >regarding the first language, including current linguistic theory, which
> >also says that humanity, having originated in a single place, originally
> >had only one language.
>
> Cite? When was this postulated proto-world spoken?

Note that I classified linguistic theory as mythology on this matter.That's what it is
IMO, but the focus of Glorantha is mythology isn't it? Mythically, there was an original language.

> These authoritative sources, hmm. One is WF#6 which makes other
> claims which are now known to be wrong (such as everyone spoke
> Old Mantongue), another is RQ2 which makes similar claims, and
> finally Plunder! which mentions EWF translating quills, one of
> which translates spirittongue. There are no modern sources which
> speak of spiritspeech or mantongue.

The shaman Penliss, in Shadows on the Borderland has 47% Speak SpiritSpeech. Behlok,
another shaman in the same work, doesn't have the language listed at all. No RQ book
has ever mentioned Mantongue, OOP or modern. We can still talk about it though, can't
we? (actually, no we shouldn't for excellent reasons suggested by Tom Zunder)

Also, "everyone spoke Old Mantongue" may be an untrue statement IYO, but it is hardly
"known to be wrong" IMO.

Vivant! EWF translating quills BTW ...

However, you do have a pretty valid point. Could be it's just useless RQ2 luggage.
I'm going to carry on having a SpiritSpeech IMG, though. Might not incorporate Old Mantongue, though.

> Since that time, it has been learned that Firespeech is not spoken
> by 'salamanders and birds' universally but is your everyday Dara
> Happan tongue - which implies that salamanders in Teshnos or Faladje
> do not speak firespeech (assuming that they could speak at all).

Firespeech also appears in SotB. Does this mean that these Praxian characters have some
bizarre knowledge of Dara Happan?

> Likewise Earthtongue has been revealed to be the Esrolian Language
> and Stormspeech is not spoken by mammals as claimed by RQ2. The
> trend is clearly towards _realism_*.

I doubt it. Have you looked at the info that's been coming out re: HW?

> Similarly Spiritspeech, if it exists, should exhibit a similar
> linguistic realism.

Linguistic realism for Spiritspeech? A bizarre notion, to say the least.

> The Brithini, of course deny this, and I believe this to be related
> to the Silence. Simply put, the Brithini lost the power of speech
> during the Great Darkness and did not regain it for some time.

First I've heard of this, I think. Sounds cool. Where is it from?