rural Sartar, cont'd

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:12:49 -0700

Bruce writes:

>[*]By the bye, some connections: The Anmangarn are the Black Spear
>clan---spears are obviously a clan weapon. Where do you get socially
>acceptible spear training?

>From your father most likely. The Orlanthi probably use spears and axes
more often than swords - a sword is a status weapon (it means you've got some wealth). If you belong to a wealthy family or are connected to the chieftain, you may have been trained in the sword by someone actually quite skilled.

Remember, Real Gloranthan Life does not work the same way as the Runequest Skill Training rules. Most Orlanthi learn most of their skills from members of their extended family. To learn a specialized skill, a lad might be "apprenticed" or "fostered" to someone following the first stage of Orlanthi initiation. BTW, Orlanthi initiation begins with the re-enactment of Heort's mysteries after which the new initiate can declare a path - then begins a period of several years (I think 3) where the ini tiate learns skills appropriate to that path.

The Anmangarn use the same weapons as pretty much any other Colymar clan - spears and axes, with anyone who can afford one using a sword.

>The clan chieftain, Gwoda Firmhand, Red
>Daughter and Orlanth Rex, takes one Orleg Jarangsson, Light Spear, as
>her lawful Esrolian husband. Elmali have always been part of the
>Anmangarn, I suspect.

Elmali have always been part of almost any Orlanthi clan - Elmal is the hearthguard. However, I believe the Enhyli clan hold Elmal in the highest esteem of the Colymar clans.

>This also makes mythic sense: Ragnaglar was married
>to the goat goddess, while Urox Chaosbane is most stongly associated
>with cattle. Therefore, goats are close to chaos, cattle are its
>foes.

And this is exactly why the Orlanthi consider goats to be big rats and generally unfit for humans to raise or eat.

>I was not certain that domestic pigs existed in central Genertela.
>Wild boar yes, pigs no. Pigs are nice, but not neccesary for the
>Orlanthi way of life, so I left them out of my model.

Pigs are definitely part of the Orlanthi way of life. Just ask Pam Carlson and the rest of the SFC!

Jeff

Jeff