Re: Ratuki

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 23:57:25 +0200

Nick Davison:

> My interest in Ratuki has been renewed by the latest
> issue of TORM which contains details of their galleys and
> submersible sharkboats.(and an excellent illustration of the
> former).

- -..
> Has anyone developed any ideas more recently?

Yes, the Ratuki, whose boats were described in Tales are East Isles shark people. They are not true Husnchen, but the descendants of the people of the sunken island Tamanjary. As Tamanjary's goddess is dead, they have turned to worship her mate, the shark god Ratuk.

The Ratuki live on a floating island which is really a huge sea monster. Most of them aren't weresharks but slaves who have gained their freedom through strength and ruthlessness.

> In particular what are they like prior to transformation?
>
> Do they have sharks teeth, toughened skin, resistance to normal
> weapons etc?

The real weresharks have become rather inhuman. They are large and strong, with sharp teeth and tough skin. They also rarely speak, preferring magic communication with their shark friends.

> Have we dropped the idea of the sharks mouth on the back?

The Ratuki don't have any such at least. There might be other shark men elsewhere who do.

> The TORM illustration suggest they use sharks teeth clubs and
> daggers.

Yes, the shark teeth club is one of the few weapons the technologically primitive Ratuki can manufacture themselves.

> I guess they can also summon sharks.

Yes, as friends, attack troupes, to pull boats etc.

> (and sacrifice prisoners to them?)

That too.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/