Getting shirty?

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 18:38:11 -0700

David Boatright gives a performance piece demonstrating why drinking and posting do not go well together. We would all be well-served if we would heed the moral of the performance -

>I just love it when Nick drops to new levels and starts to get shirty
>when people react to his critisms. We all know how well he took it
>when people critized his 'wonderful' star program. It would be nice
>for a target that when he was quoting 'sources' he would actually
>mention that he wrote it.

Getting "shirty"? Isn't that the title of a best-selling hip-hop single? I think I need to introduce that into my regular hipster lexicon - "I'm shirty with that, man". Here's another hipster phrase - "Chill Out", which I strongly recommend right now.

>BTW the freedom of the west is due soley to the printing of Wyrms
>Footprints.

Huh? That's a rather random comment. Care to elaborate?

Now that I have gotten that bit of pent up petty snideness out of my system, I just wanted to make a comment on something that Joerg wrote:
>Greg said that Tradetalk is a development of the Issaries
>cult, probably under God Learner influence. IMO the basis for Tradetalk
was
>the Theyalan lingua franca, which (upon contact with the West, and the
>Jrusteli) adopted Western idioms as well as a smattering of Dara Happan or
>Praxian terms (mostly for exotic items).

I increasingly view Tradetalk as a "magical" language. Issaries possesses the power of communication, particularly with strangers. Tradetalk seems to me to be the language with which followers of Issaries could communicate with strangers - and as such I don't believe it has a direct parallel with any RW language. Personally, I suspect that it has been around since the days of the Unity Council, when men learned to communicate and cooperate with the Elder Races and with new strange peoples.

Jeff