Re: Evolution & Vadeli

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 02:59:50 EDT

Bruce Hollebone:

 <<In my (uniformed) opinion, there is an evolutionary process in Glorantha, but it isn't Darwinian, it is Lamarkian. That is, if something happens to you, your children likely suffer the same effect. For example, if a hero gains fire powers then founds a clan, that clan will have similar fire powers as the hero as a family trait.>>

      I agree with the general principle of Lamarkian evolution in Glorantha, and, indeed, I seem to recall Sandy actually confirming this. For example, look at horses - the first one lost his wings, beak and claws, and ever since his descendants have been similarly denuded.

      However, I'm less convinced by the specific example - or at least I don't think its an example of evolution. While the family in your example would be able to use fire powers, they would gain them in the same way as any other magic (i.e. they wouldn't be inborn) and would be associated with the Hero cult of the clan founder. Any clan member who didn't join the Hero cult for some reason, or who managed to get kicked out would not have access to the powers, so I think this is just an example of cultural tradition rather than evolution per se.

Julian Lord:
<<humanity, having originated in a single place, originally had only one language.>>

     Unless the hsunchen myths are all wrong and self-delusional, they at least didn't originate in the same way and in the same place as everybody else. Each claims descent from a different animal, with humans being created *after* those animals had split from each other both geographically and evolutionarily. So the Telmori and Pralori, say, can't have a common human ancestor - although they may have a common divine one (Hykim).

<<Me: Incidentally, Charles, the Vadeli *are* Wareran

Nils: They are? I thought they'd be considered their own separate race by now
(as would the Teleosans).>>

     I believe you're right about the Teleosans, but Genertela: CotHW describes the Vadeli as Wareran, and this a modern enough source that I'd go along with it until its superceded by another official one. Mind you, they're pretty weird Warerans, and the Red and Blue Vadeli are likely a special case
(like the Men-and-a-Half not being typical Agimori).

Forward the glorious Red Army!

      Trotsky