Re: Black Spear, Transhumance

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 98 16:21 MET DST

Bruce
>[*]By the bye, some connections: The Anmangarn are the Black Spear
>clan---spears are obviously a clan weapon. Where do you get socially
>acceptible spear training? The clan chieftain, Gwoda Firmhand, Red
>Daughter and Orlanth Rex, takes one Orleg Jarangsson, Light Spear, as
>her lawful Esrolian husband. Elmali have always been part of the
>Anmangarn, I suspect.

You might go to the other side, too, since it is a black spear, and ask Argan Argar for teaching.

David Dunham:
>>> The cattle graze in the valley floors

>>Only part of the year -- check The Haunted Ruins and you'll see that
>>Sartarite clans practice transhumance.

>Could you expand on this please? I do not have this reference.

It has been said elsewhere as well. IMO this is still a question of valley floors, only how high up?

There is a limit to how steep a hillside may be for grazing cattle (or, as Alex put it several generations of digests ago: "the cattle would roll off").

In the Alps you can graze cattle well up to the tree border. While we don't know exactly where the tree border would be in Dragon Pass, climate is not the only factor to stop growing trees on hillsides. There also is soil (or lack thereof), grazing (by goats and capricorns or other high mountain antelopes) and storms to take into account (ok, the latter is related to climate).

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #10