Re: Draconic Beasts

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 98 16:21 MET DST

Sergio Mascarenhas found evidence for the descent of many beasts from Hykim and Mikyh in
>National Geographic vol 194 no 1 in page 92.

>Why am I mentionning this? Well, I always saw demi-birds, the dragonwet
>steed, as an ostrich-like creature. Not anymore. After reading NG I would
>suppose that the Gloranthan demi-bird should be akin to the Unenlagia.
>After all, this makes the demi-bird a member of the dinosaur family which
>in Glorantha is related to the dragon family.

Unfortunately, they are tied into the bird pantheon of Kestinliddi (modern Rinliddi, or First Blessed Sultanate), which had avilry (avian riding cavalry) similar to that of the dragonewts, on the same sort of birds (called augner IIRC).

Still, a God Learner would be pleased to reread

>According to this article, birds are really members of the dinosaur family.

into "dragon family". Of course nothing prevents dragons from rising into the sky and begetting animals there as well as on the ground...

>In Gloranthan terms this means that birds would have some ancient
>connection to the dragon family. Can it be that even the Sun his an
>offspring of the dragon? (Yelm? That's a dinosaur, of course...)

The Pelandans have a myth how the oldest dragon (the one Yelm's throne is shaped from) is a brother of Aether.

>Next, go to pages 82-83 where you can find a model of the Sinosauropterix.
>Make some changes to the model by shortening his tail, turning his feet
>into duck-like feet, and giving him a thumb in his hands. What do you get?
>A Durulz!

While I agree that the durulz have some atavistic features (like teeth in their soft, somewhat mobile beaks - which allow a fair spectrum of mimics, according to Carl Barks), I rather would believe that this is devolution than earlier steps of evolution. Ducks and keets were fully functional birds once according to all sources.

>Could it be possible that the durulz and keets are connected with dragons?

There is the "bad keet" race of pterodactyloids in the East Isles...

But IMO anything with ties to beast may prove ties to dragon. At least since the 2nd Age.

>- Maybe the reason why the durulz survived in DP for so long is because
>they are protected by the Dragonewts.

The reason why they survived is that they submitted to whoever ruled their lands if they couldn't beat them. The 'newts would feast on ducks just like they would feast on humans IMO.

I disagree with most of the conclusions, but I guess that's a matter of personal taste in duck (roast, peking, orange sauce...).