Re: RQ2 Speech

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 98 16:21 MET DST

SpiritSpeech

IMO there is at least one dialect, or possibly distinct language, for each set of spirits you may encounter in a region. Praxian spirits probably will have a "language" related to the Golden Age language of Prax (prior to the Beast Riders, still used to some extent in Paps rites) and the modern dominant language of Prax, the various Beast Rider dialects. If you accept the Nomad Gods grouping of spirits, you'll get dialects along with elemental affiliation.

>Also, "everyone spoke Old Mantongue" may be an untrue statement IYO, but
>it is hardly "known to be wrong" IMO.

Everyone spoke Old Mantongue, everywhere. Only the language wasn't interchangeable, since Old Mantongue varied strongly from place and culture to place and culture.

>Firespeech also appears in SotB. Does this mean that these Praxian
>characters have some bizarre knowledge of Dara Happan?

Yes. Introduced to Prax latest in the Second Age, through the Pure Horse Tribe or the Sun Domers accompanying Pavis.

>> Similarly Spiritspeech, if it exists, should exhibit a similar
>> linguistic realism.

>Linguistic realism for Spiritspeech? A bizarre notion, to say the least.

Well, if you are a shaman from East Ralios, you'd better damn well expect communication difficulties with unfamiliar Praxian spirits.

>> The Brithini, of course deny this, and I believe this to be related
>> to the Silence. Simply put, the Brithini lost the power of speech
>> during the Great Darkness and did not regain it for some time.

>First I've heard of this, I think. Sounds cool. Where is it from?

Cults of Terror Cosmology - Kyger Litor told Zzabur how to overcome the Silence which plagued him in the I Fought We Won stuff. I don't think that this was universally affecting the Brithini, though. More likely a backlashed spell of Zzabur when his perception of reality did not coincide with reality...

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #11