Languages

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 17:54:41 +1200 (NZST)

David Dunham:

Me>> it has been learned that Firespeech is not spoken
>> by 'salamanders and birds' universally but is your everyday Dara
>> Happan tongue - which implies that salamanders in Teshnos or Faladje
>> do not speak firespeech (assuming that they could speak at all).
>> Likewise Earthtongue has been revealed to be the Esrolian Language
>> and Stormspeech is not spoken by mammals as claimed by RQ2

>Hmm, I've missed most of these developments. Can you remind me of the
>sources?

Firespeech = Dara Happan; Sun County (and Cults of Prax) make Firespeech the religious language of the Sun Dome People. The Sun Dome was introduced into Prax from Peloria. Book 1 of the Genertela boxed set sez on p34 '_Dara_Happan_: the cult language of the solar religions of Peloria. It is learned primarily by priests and pedants.'

Earthspeech = Esrolian: Shadows on the Borderland. Earthspeech is spoken of as being used for temple records in the Ernalda Temple in Sun Country. It is noted there as being 'well suited to writing in clay'. Since the centre of Ernalda worship is in Esrolia, it seems plausible that the Ernaldan cultic rites are said in Esrolian. One could posit a High Esrolian, but frankly I don't think Ernalda is the type of cult to rely on scribal pedantry.

Julian Lord:

>> There are no modern sources which speak of spiritspeech or mantongue.

>The shaman Penliss, in Shadows on the Borderland has 47% Speak
>SpiritSpeech. Behlok, another shaman in the same work, doesn't
>have the language listed at all.

Okay, I retract the allegation with respect to spiritspeech.

>> Likewise Earthtongue has been revealed to be the Esrolian Language
>> and Stormspeech is not spoken by mammals as claimed by RQ2. The
>> trend is clearly towards _realism_*.

>I doubt it. Have you looked at the info that's been coming out re: HW?

What difference does HW make? I've seen people who've played it at pains to point out that HW does not represent a dumbed down conanization of glorantha. Given that Greg's recent material, such as the GRoY and the Entekosiad, do attempt to give Glorantha a veneer of linguistic authenticity, I see no reason to revise my comments.

>> Similarly Spiritspeech, if it exists, should exhibit a similar
>> linguistic realism.

>Linguistic realism for Spiritspeech? A bizarre notion, to say the least.

Would you claim that Joerg's suggestion for spiritspeech (that it is the language of the dead spirits of prax and the wastelands) to be bizarre? That is the type of suggestion I was talking about. Instead of postulating languages as universal entities emboying universal truths, one would be closer to the truth to treat them as ordinary languages causally connected with the truths they transmit.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #12