Re: Evolution

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 1998 22:27:34 +0100

Ashley Crill notes:
(Me) >>- The durulz and keets are not birds that lost their wings
>> but a pre-bird creature that didn't evolve wings in the first place.

> I've seen nothing that suggests evolution is a part of glorantha.
> Half-and-half creatures exist due to their mythic origins, not
> evolution. The Hippogriff/Horse is a good example.
When I used the term 'evolution' I wasn't specificaly thinking in terms of Darwinian evolution. In Glorantha there may be other reasons why a certain creature is connected to another. This can be called evolution in a broad sense.
IMO there is no writen source on Glorantha saying that evolution is a part of it, but there is neither a source saying that it isn't. As you say, sources describe Glorantha within a mythical context, not a rationalistic one. Asking whether creatures evolve in
Glorantha is like asking whether Glorantha is flat, or whether the gods were created by their worshipers or else created their worshipers: all the answers we have are mythical. They were not subject to the test of critical rationalism.

Sergio