A Visit to Alkoth

From: Bernuetz, Oliver: WPG <Bernuetz.Oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 14:18:00 -0400

What follows is a letter found in Fresser's Gourmet Guide to Glorantha. It dates to the period before he lost Moonson's favour
and he went into exile.

Dear Felicitus,

Thank you for your last letter. That juicy little bit of gossip you passed on has proven MOST useful. You asked how the Emperor's last progress went. It went well for the most part, a bit dreary at times, all that tedious ceremony you know. I say it went well for the most part and I'm sure that from Moonson's viewpoint the entire thing went well, lots of tributes, lots of accolades, nubile virgins, gold, magical geegaws, etc., etc. The part that didn't go so well from the viewpoint of the rest of his train was the visit to Alkoth. (May the Goddess strike me down on the spot if I even consider setting foot in that place again. What a nightmare it was (and I mean that quite literally)). We approached the place from the north. I have never seen such a sight, absolutely enormous walls reaching far into the sky. We saw it from many key miles away. The locals say the walls are actually Shargash's girdle and having seen them I believe it. I swear on my mother's grave that there is no structure in Glamour that you would be capable of being seen above those walls. Because of the towering walls it is almost always perpetually dark in the city. The locals are forced to rely on artificial light almost constantly and this just adds to the charm of the place. The locals can tell you what time of day it is by observing where Yelm's brilliance is touching the tower tops, so the entire city acts as a giant sun dial. The walls are covered on the exterior with giant runes and strange carvings which it is not safe to pay too much attention to. Upon entering the city you are immediately struck by three things (if one of the locals doesn't first strike you with his mace, more on that later). The smell, as the whole city has a carnal reek (due to the omnipresent funeral pyres), the fact that every single male in sight, whether child, adolescent, mature male or doddering elder are all armed, and thirdly the oppressive atmosphere. The atmosphere doesn't seem to affect the locals, nor did it affect Moonson or the Arch-cenobite
(and why would it affect that bastard?) but it did affect
the rest of us. We had been warned against using any magic that would allow us to sense or communicate with spirits as the place is said to be rife with the spirits of the slain. All of us followed the warning but it didn't help one of the more overly-sensitive Deezola priestesses who was driven raving mad by what she characterized as the incessant pleas for surcease by the lost souls crowding the place.
(She seems to have made the switch to Jakaleel
quite successfully though the constant giggles and shrieks of, "Stop tickling me!" are a bit much to take). Even I, who has never been accused of being overly sensitive could feel the oppressive weight of the dead there. (In fact I had miserable, scary dreams the whole time I was there). Moonson even left most of the healers camped outside of the city to spare them the stress. As oppressive, miserable and scary as the city was, it was nothing compared to the Alkothi themselves. Actually, the run of the mill worshipers of Alkoth were not too bad it was the omnipresent Shargashi that were bad. Imagine if you will a dark, gloomy city, infested with unseen, unsettling presences and reeking like the charnel house it is. Bad enough no? Well, then to make the image of hell all the more real add some hellspawn. Picture hordes of cold eyed, dark, curly haired, bearded hellions armed to the teeth stalking the streets and the picture is complete. The Shargashi look at everyone not of Alkoth as a potential sacrifice to their dark god.
(In fact Moonson was greeted with the sacrifice
of a hecatomb of "prisoners", all volunteers we were assured. The screaming seemed to indicate otherwise). The Shargashi are very proud of themselves, their foul city and their dark god. They take great pride in their appearance and all of them have long curly hair. The adult men all have great curly beards hanging to their waists. They take their honour very seriously. Any slight, real or imagined was enough reason to start a fight. We lost two Scimitars before Moonson sent the rest of them out to guard the healers. Unlike the other stops on the progression Moonson was not gifted with anything I would personally consider all that interesting, unless you consider gilded skulls, war trophies and dejected prisoners of war to be interesting. All in all I consider the whole visit to be the low point in my journeys. Of course I have yet to visit Dorastor...

Yours as devotedly as is expedient,

Fresser

Oliver D. Bernuetz
www.gerocities.com/TimesSquare/realm/5545 bernuetz.oliver_at_cbsc.ic.gc.ca