Man-rune and languages

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 18:54:38 +1200 (NZST)

Chris Holden:

>The Gloranthan races didn't evolve as they did on Earth, they were created
>from the Runes - thus humans came from the 'Man' Rune, Trolls from the
>'Darkness' and 'Man' Runes.

This is flatly denied by many races and cultures. The theory that everything came from Runes is God-Learner in origin and look where it got them! Gods of Glorantha presents a vastly different account of how humans were made.

>I think that in Glorantha, where culture is much more
>elemental than modern culture, it influences language a great deal - in
>mythic proportions in fact, because the gods that shape the culture (and
>in the case of the race creators the speakers themselves) are living and in
>contact with the people.

Human cultures are not elemental in glorantha. Dara Happa revers the River (Oslira), the Air (Entekos) and the Earth (Oria) whereas the Orlanthi acknowlege the Sun (Elmal) and the earth (Ernalda).

And for the thesis that Gods influence worship and language, how does this explain why the Tusk Riders (halftrolls worshipping a malign earth diety) speak a related speech to Stormtongue?

>The races are (basically) made from the Runes. So their brains are going
>to be pretty much hardwired to the component Runes. Humans are therefore
>only going to be able to acquire languages tied to the 'Man' Rune.

If humans can only speak man-rune languages then it follows that nonhumans cannot acquire human languages and thus we are left with the anomaly that both the Bison rider and the Morokanth (who are _not_ related to the man rune) speak the same language. Admittedly one could explain this by claiming the bison rider is subhuman but the same cannot be said for the Sable rider.