Where's everybody Gone?, Yinkin, Gbaji & Cragspider

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 19:48:29 +0100

Sunday, July 5 1998 was the last time I received a Digest, Where is everybody, You can't all have set out for Convulsions already can you?

(one of) my excuses is that I have been busy reading through "Ye Book of Tentacles", "Gloranthacon IV Compendium" and "Enclosure 2" (it seemed like a good idea at the time to order them now rather than wait to Convulsion when I am bound to run out of money...) All very good stuff and highly recommended - Just a few quick quetions if I may.

Yinkin - In the cult write up Yinkin is said to have died & been resurrected many times in god-time - I would suggest 9 seems an appropriate number (though I don't know who was responsible for them all) - hence the Orlanthi saying "As many lives as Yinkin" when one of their number has a particularly close call...

Gbaji - In Nick & Sandy's marathon Q&A, Sandy tells the audience
"Nysalor didn't curse the trolls, but you know that anyway" and Nick
resoponds "Absolutely, they brought it on themselves" - Can anyone elucidate on this for me, 'cos I am stuck with the Uz-centric Trollpak view that Gbaji did curse the trolls, or is it just another semantics argument (It wasn't Nysalor that cursed them at all, he is a good, enlightened god, it was that wicked deceiver, Gbaji that did all those bad things)

Cragspider - From a different point in the same session, while discussing Archne Solara, Sandy suggests that the being with the most knowledge in Glorantha is probably Cragspider but "The problem is that she is a Mistress Race Troll who is half Black Widow Spider" Which is strange since in Trollpak she is described as a Dark Troll (Uz Lore p20
"That one was Cragspider, a dark troll who began in the spider cult and
worked her way to deity", While in White Bear & Red Moon she is described (p39) "Even the Dragons were not sure of her ancestry for she live din her mountain long before they were hatched" and on p52 as "A masterful witch nymph later called Cragspider" so which/how many of these are true - who/what is Cragspider? - I think in a previous discussion on this digest it was suggested that she might have been adarkness nymph who underwent the Kygor Litor ritual of rebirth to become a Dark Troll, did she subsequently undergo the ritual a second time to become Uzuz (Is it possible to undergo the ritual a second time? or for a Dark Troll to use it to become Mistress Race, or a Trollkin to improve their lot?) - Does she know of some other Heroquest that allowed her to become Uzuz, or does the fact that she is a Powerful Heroquestor with mighty fire powers, an army of Great Trolls and a dragon as afriend make the whole thing academic?

Q. What foul yellow spirit would you find in the Marshes around the Block? A. The Devils Advocaat!

        This is the Consume Alcohol riddle of Nysalor
   Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk