Re: Jonstown politics

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:19:21 EDT

Giles Hill:

<< Could anyone help me out? I'm shortly going to run a series of scenarios  set in Jonstown. What I'm looking for is some background to the political  situation in the town.

 The dominating factor as far as I can see is of course the Learning temple   with the factions being the Lunar priests of Irripi Ontor, who probably  have more in common with the urbanised worshipers of Lhankor Mhy than they  would care to admit. The third and final faction are the tribal  Llankorings or Law speakers from the rural tribes and clans who are also  present in the town and library, who deeply resent the new ways of  learning and keeping law and knowledge. >>

     I'm not clear from above whether or not you have Heroes of Wisdom, the Jonstown guide published by the Chaos Society. This lists all the factions within the Library (including but not limited to the three you mention), which I would imagine are mirrored to some extent among those in the rest of the town. The description of the political attitudes of the Jonstown tribes will also help with the non-Library politics. I'm told a new edition or supplement to HoW is being prepared by the Chaos Society, but I don't know the details.

 <<I have also presumed that the Library at Jonstown does not stand alone but  is part of a college of learning.>>

      It's a temple of Lhankor Mhy, and IMO is only a part of a larger college in the sense that the cult as a whole is an institution of learning. For all the veneer of civilisation in Sartarite cities, the Orlanthi are still barbarians and centralised cult structures don't sit very well with that IMO. The cult of Irippi Ontor OTOH (which of course, currently shares the Library with Lhankor Mhy) is probably fairly centralised and organised and different temples are supposed to cooperate rather than compete. Not that they actually *do* this all the time, mind you, academics being what they are - but that's the theory.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky