the spider clan

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 17:55:24 -0700

ok - I'll pipe up here and toss in an observation.

Trolls are natural allies w/ spiders. Both are hunters, beautifully adapted to their environments, have dominant females, hide well, and invoke an irrational fear in many humans. It seems only natural that they are found together in Glorantha.

I could envison a troll clan that adapts the spider as a totem. They would be great hunters and trap layers, males would bring presents to teh females before they are allowed to mate, and would be eaten afterwards much of the time. Little baby trolls would be very competetive and eat each other a lot. These trolls could have hideous rituals where they digest their prey inside its own body with horrifc liquids, then suck the goo out - kind of like a vodka spiked watermelon. They would be a small clan, but immeasureably terrifying. (Especially because they can squeeze themselves into tiny cracks in your vegetable cellar!)

(Can anyone tell I detest spiders?)

This is much more fun than trolls RIDING giant spiders... they could worship them for fiendish powers!

And you could have wasp trolls, who, like broo, lay larvae inside immobilized victoms, or bee trolls, who are haploid and live in giant colonies...

Pam "all bugs are icky" Carlson