Re: Middle of the Mystic

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 11:15:44 +0100

Alex develops Peter's comment on the sequence of belief systems: Peter:
>> *Purely as a matter of interest, I see that the CoT sequence:
>> Naturalism/Theism/Humanism/Mysticism differs from the
>> sequence in the new game (to wit: Materialism/Shamanism/
>> /Theism/Mysticism.

Alex:
> I think the new one makes a bit more sense: at least if one
> realises that the two ends exhibit significant similarities,
> too. In fact, maybe a more useful picture might be:

> Materialism ------- Shamanism
>
> | |
> | |
> | |
> | |
> | |

> Mysticism ------- Theism

It makes explicit that some of those belief systems are somewhat opposed: Materialism vs. Theism and Mysticism vs. Shamanism.

We can develop on that idea, but first let me state that I prefer the more encompassing word 'Spiritism' instead of 'Shamanism'.

Now, if they are opposed, our graphical representation should make it clear:

                       Mysticism
                       Spiritism

If we go further, we can see that there are positions where we find that the four above are the 'pure' forms of each belief system. There are also combined forms:

Monotheism      MYSTICISM          Scientism
Pantheism        SPIRITISM          Organicism

Does that make sense? Does it help in understanding Glorantha?

Sergio