Re: Gloranthan Minis

From: robertson_at_delphi.intel.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:10:13 -0700

James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_wam.umd.edu> asks:

>I've been playing around with mini wargaming in a Glorantha setting, and
>was wondering what rules others have used (several events have been run at
>cons, so there must be some wargaming out there). I've been using
>Warhamster, but it seems a little clumsy for 1:1 scale. Any comments? I've
>played a little DBA/DBR recently (I usually play 1912-45), and it seems
>nice -- is De Bellis Fantasticus adaptable for Glorantha? Fantasy Rules?
>Chronopia?

Well, the two wargame sets at the Glorantha Cons are both Home-brewed. I wrote a more tactical (good for 1-1 figure scale) set based on Runequest (I simplified the combat so that one roll determined the outcome of an attack). John Medway wrote a set of rules based loosely on DBA/DBM (one unit of 3-4 figures = ~500 men).

I've been chatting with Greg about writing a set of rules based on Hero Wars, but we haven't made any formal arrangement.

While *any* set of rules can be converted into a Gloranthan setting, converting character sheets to a Skirmish game is problematical. You have to look at the different ways the two sets do stats: How does a 85% attack translate into the wargame system? How does movement, or wounds/HP translate, etc. Then, you have the problem of magic, which in Glorantha is much more available to the common trooper (even if it is just weapon-style magic). I can't think of any set off the top of my head wich gives *everyone* the ability to cast magic, instead they all depend on individual Wizard/Priest figures to handle all magic. Along the same lines, I can't think of a set that provides for magical Units (of the Lunar College variety) that can pool resources to make big magic.

DB*/HotT and FR! are grand-tactical scale, so you don't have the problem of converting your characters to the rule set, but you still have to make decisions (Are the Sun Dome Pikes Pk(I) or Sp(F), etc.). I haven't seen DBF yet, so I can't comment on it's magical rules, but the ruules from HotT were pretty weak from what I remember.

Roderick