Re: Human races

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 17:19:36 EDT

In a message dated 7/17/98 7:13:52PM, you write:

Alex:

<< Me: Warerans, Kralori, etc. can all interbreed with each other to produce fertile offspring.

 As has been pointed out (nay, discussed, if not to say, debated) on this list before, this isn't even an adequate definition of "species" in the RW, much less in Glorantha. Not just semantics, quite, but distinctly "soft" science (in the RW, perhaps "soft God Learnerism" in Glorantha).>>

     Well, yes, but I think within the context I was talking about, it'll suffice as a definition. I think trying to claim Kralori are a different species from Wareran people is a bit much... (not that you were suggesting that, I realise). Though I'd agree that just because the Waertagi, say, are definately not the same species as humans, that doesn't mean they can't have children with them just like wolves and coyotes can with each other.

<<Besides, have you carried out the necessary experiments, for all possible
permutations? ;-)>>

    No, not personally :-). But given we're told that Warerans, Kralori and Agimori, correspond to, resemble and are similar to caucasians, orientals and blacks I'd be surprised if they didn't... Of course, this says nothing about the races that don't have earthly counterparts (notably the Veldang, but also all those minor ones), although personally I'd assume they can.

<<Me: Genertela: CotHW describes the Vadeli as Wareran

 What exactly does G:G have to say about the Vadeli being Wareran (and indeed, where does it say it)?>>

     Book 3, page 34. Like I say, perhaps open to future Gregging (being only a passing comment) but I'll stick with it for now, while conceding that they're pretty strange Warerans...

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky