Re: Mystic/Materialist Charts

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 17:19:39 EDT

Sergio:

<< we can see that there are positions where we find that [mysticism, theism,
materialism and animism] are the 'pure' forms of each belief system. There are also combined forms:

 Monotheism      MYSTICISM          Scientism
 THEISM-------------------I------------------- MATERIALISM
 Pantheism        SPIRITISM          Organicism

 Does that make sense? Does it help in understanding Glorantha?>>

     I don't think they're as clearly opposed as this indicates. Gloranthan monotheists (Hrestoli, Rokari etc.) are generally also materialists, so putting them so far apart seems unhelpful. And there are cultures which combine theism with materialism (the Henotheists, and at least some Lunar sorcerors). Also, I'd have said that the elves may combine spiritism/animism and mysticism, and they aren't necessarily the only ones.

<<Belief systems are the practices derived by living creatures from the four
magical systems. They are:

Pantheism---------Mysticism---------Alquimism

      I                                                 I
      I                                                 I
      I                                                 I
Monotheism                               Scientism
      I                                                 I
      I                                                 I
      I                                                 I
Polytheism------Shamanism-----------Spiritism >>

      Perhaps it would help if you gave some examples of each of these societies, to show how it works. I'm willing to be convinced, but I haven't been yet...

     Also, AFAIK 'alquimism' isn't a word in English, which I appreciate is not your first language :-)

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky