Malkionism and Illumination.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 18:20:00 +1200 (NZST)

Julian Lord:

SH>> Illuminates "find the divine within themselves". That's pantheism in
>> Malkioni terms and is incompatible with the concept of Solace. IMHO.

I must disagree here. The God Learners were Pantheists in their later years (cf ToTRM#13 Crusade article) yet were not Illuminates and still believed in Solace. Gods are understandable and approachable from a materialistic viewpoint (cf the Waertagi worship of merdieties and the God Learner use of Wachaza).

>For the illuminate, divinity is transcendant, as it ought to be (but
>often isn't) in Malkionism. Finding the divine within is a goal of all
>truly religious sentiment.

I must protest against the conflation of divinity and transcendance here. In the Lunar Empire, the two concepts are regarded as seperate (cf the RQ-Con II compendium) and illumination is NOT regarded as 'finding the divine within yourself'.

>I don't think that illumination is incompatible with Solace, as Saint
>Hrestol himself showed, surely.

One would have to show first that Hrestol was illuminated. I myself do not believe that Hrestol was illuminated given that his relevations can be and are understood as part of materialistic Malkioni philosophy by everyone since his death.