re: Detecting sorcerers; Cragspider

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 12:05:28 -0800

Thanks to Hal Bowman for the cameos. I'm a fan of scenarios like these, since they're not tied to a particular area and can often be used in different cultures.

However, one contained

> It can be staged wherever Sorcerors are hated and
> feared and where they can be detected by a simple test at close range.

Where are such simple tests to be found? (It was profound culture shock in one non-Gloranthan campaign I joined that such magic existed. That's pretty potent mind reading, and in my opinion it doesn't exist, at least not as an easy or common thing.)

Unless you mean simple tests like noticing he's wearing a Law rune pendant or has the right tattoos or something...

Having a magic mirror, as in the cameo, isn't quite as simple, in my opinion, and is more likely -- especially as you hint that only certain sorcerery-haters might have them.

Tim Ellis wondered

> Was the decision to use the Troll/Spider cross in the computer game
> based on the counter in WB&RM? or is their another source for this
> appeance.

The counter in La Guerre des Heros was more of an inspiration. Araign=E9e-Ro= c
rocks. In fact, all the counters in this game are awesome.

One could also argue that in both games, Cragspider is part of the troll contingent, so she ought to appear as a troll.