Malkioni and Illumination

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 21:52:57 +1200 (NZST)

Julian Lord:

>That is, divinity is not always transcendant, illumination isn't the same
>as divinity, and the self isn't necessarily perceived as divine. But
>_illumination_ can almost be defined as a transcendance wherein some of
these >ideas can become true: almost, but not quite. If illumination were
>transcendance, purely and simply, the war of Arkat/Nysalor/Gbaji would be
>easy to explain. But it isn't.

I think it would be safer to say that illumination is _a_ transcendant path and that other such paths are known to exist (ie Draconism, Kralori enlightenment, Cult of Silence, Arkatism, Near Ones etc).

>But, IMO, illumination, that is the "light" side of it, does lead to the
>religious feeling I clumsily attempted to describe.

There is a 'dark' side to illumination? Given that illuminates transcend good and evil, how can one tell if a 'bad' illuminate is not experiencing the same religious feeling?

>> One would have to show first that Hrestol was illuminated.

>But lots of Hrestol's actions while he was alive definitely *sound* like
>they were commited by an illuminate, don't you think? All that transcendance
>of caste boundaries ...

Malkioni can and do commit castecrime even when not illuminated. The key distinction however is that non-illuminated Malkioni tend to suffer nasty curses and penalties for doing so. In Hrestol's case, by breaking his Brithini Taboos (among other criminal acts), he was visibly growing older.

>> I myself do not believe that Hrestol was illuminated given that his
>> relevations can be and are understood as part of materialistic Malkioni
>> philosophy by everyone since his death.

>Are they understood? I believe that this is matter for some contention
>among the Malkioni ...

The only people who claim that the true understanding of Hrestol's message has been lost are the Perfecti. Given that their claims are used to justify cultic practices that are demonstrably non-  in origin, orthodox Malkioni have little difficulty in dismissing them as deluded idiots.

IMO the RW parallel would be to say that the gospels are completely wrong and that Jesus said something different based on following mediation practices from the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #32