Asking Old Questions Again

From: Nick Hollingsworth <NickH_at_compans.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 18:37:47 +0100

A R Wilson says

> When I first delurked on the digest three years ago, I asked a few
> questions about areas/things I had no source material on, and got
> replies that made me feel like I'd said something stupid ...

The problem is IMO that there is nowhere to search for old topics so they get asked again. Yes there's the FAQ but that can only cover so much. And I note that Loren now has an undigested archive of v6, and very nice it is too, but I don't think it lets you search for a given
string in the body of the mailings.

It would be a major resource if anyone could provide an undigested archive of all the messages from the various incarnations and versions of the mailing list under one search engine. Hopefully the thread structure could be maintained too - much like what Deja News offers for newgroups.

If it is beyond our wit/resources to provide this then perhaps we could cheat by having the majordomo copy the mailings on to a rec.games.frp.glorantha-digest moderated newsgroup and allow DejaNews to provide us with the search for as long as they continue to provide such a service. If we did this we could probably come up with some way to post the older versions and lists in such a way that it maintains thread structure if not date or original poster info.

The newsgroup route has been suggested before as an alternate to the mail list and rejected, rightly IMO, because mail is a more universal delivery
mechanism and newsgroups can suffer a bad time lag for many people. However simply using the newsgroup as a cheap archiving option need not be ruled out just because of these problems. Using DejaNews or similar only
supposes simple web access not newsgroup access.

A dedicated site would still be my preference if possible.

+ Nick Hollingsworth	Glorantha! By all means possible.
+ http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/9495/index.html <http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/9495/index.html>