Instant myth

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 21:04:08 -0800

In Jeff Richard's Varmandi game, some of our religious regalia devoted to the earth goddesses had been stolen. Everyone liked the idea of questing to recover it, but we couldn't find a good myth that matched up well with the situation. Jeff gave a hint about myths that might work, and then since my character was going on the quest, had me write the myth.

This is the work of about 3 minutes, about two of which consisted of saying "hold on, I'm not done yet," but I thought it might entertain the Digest.

BTW, I was not successful in the quest. I suppose I should have made sure each stage of the quest exactly matched my character's best abilities, but then it wouldn't have been an Orlanth myth... Another way to succeed at the quest would have been to take other characters along, but one of the players whose character would have been perfect was sick. Oh well.

ORLANTH RESCUES THE SILVER EWE
Orlanth had an ewe with a silver fleece, which gave milk which never went sour, and whose lambs were a delight to one and all. One day three giants stole the ewe.

Orlanth and resolved to get the sheep back. He took a piece of flint, a bull-roarer, and his sword.

He headed to where the giants lived. The first giant challenged Orlanth, and wouldn't let him pass. Orlanth whirled his bull-roarer, and the noise frightened away the giant.

Orlanth came to the second giant, who tried to stop him. Orlanth fought him, cutting off his legs.

The third giant was holed up in a cave with the sheep. Orlanth said he had something magic, which he would trade for the ewe. The giant agreed, but when Orlanth gave him the flint, he said, "This is just a rock!" Orlanth said, "bring me logs, and I will show you its magic." He had the giant sit atop the pile of logs, and struck the flint on his sword. The giant burned up, and Orlanth returned with the magic sheep. The end.

Jeff broke this into five steps, though I'm not sure what each was (I think it was Frighten, Fight, Bargain, Trick, and Make Fire). The first giant at least was in mountain form.