More lunarized Orlanthi

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:52:49 +1200 (NZST)

Jeff Richard:

>[The rural Orlanthi] certainly acknowledge the Seven Mothers and the Red
>Goddess as powerful gods but do not actively worship them and many of
>their elders and priests fear that they may be evil.

I think this is overstated. If they do view or fear the lunars are evil, it would be in the necessary evil category like Humakt and Taxes.

>>IMO most of the soldiers of the Bagnot Militia would
>>worship Orlanth or have been initiated into him.

>I think this is mostly right, although it is possible that most of the
>soldiers of the Bagnot militia are not initiated by Orlanth's rites. They
>know of Orlanth, they might even worship Orlanth, but their primary
>devotion is elsewhere. Does this make any sense?

The concept you are probably struggling for is 'lay member'. I do feel that such a religious tie is a lot stronger than implied in the RQ2 roolz and it comes from traditional blessings conferred upon them by a village initiate. Whether this village initiate undergoes Heort's initiation or is simply a Barntar flunky is a seperate question altogether.

Joerg Baumgartner:

>This is why I think there should be another write-up for Yanafal
>as the "tribal" professional warrior, different from the Lunar Officer. IMO
>Fazzur's sidekick Horatio Hostilius falls into this category.

I think that such warriors are Seven Mothers cultists and devote themselves to the worship of Yanafal of the Seven Mothers.