Re: Mythical Charts

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:10:12 EDT

Sergio:

<< At the ideological level it maps basic characteristics of the different
cultures that follow one or another of the second-level belief systems. Of course, you don't need the diagram to know that theists take their distances to mundanists (even when they tolerate them).>>

     I think this is where I have a problem with the chart in its present form. Is theism really so incompatible with reductionism/mundanism/whateverwe' re-going-to-call-it? Not at all, IMO; the great bulk of mundanist cultures are also monotheist (Hrestoli, Rokari etc.) while some are polytheist (Henotheists). Indeed, the only example of fairly-pure mundanists you have was the God Learners, who were monotheists. Brithini might be a better example, as they are only marginally monotheist (they believe in the Invisible God, but don't worship him). But they're pretty obviously linked to true monotheists as well, both historically and culturally. So these two belief systems/cultures really ought to be next to each other, not opposite.

<< Or that the shaman, used to know and do business with all types of spirits,
might think that the all-encopassing, holistic view of the mystic contradicts what his daily shamanic practices teach him.>>

     I don't see why it contradicts that, at least no more than it contradicts a mundanist view. And the Aldryami, IMO, combine mystical and shamanic beliefs into a coherent whole.

     I think the ultimate conclusion of all this is that all four basic views lie next to each other, and the pattern is a network, not a circle. One might categorise groups by which worldviews they combine - although I'm not sure where this gets us or how new and/or useful it would be. Something like this:

POLYTHEISM - Orlanthi

      Polytheism & Animism - Praxians, Trolls
      Polytheism & Materialism - Henotheists, Carmanians
      Polytheism & Mysticism - dunno, Teshnans?
ANIMISM - Hsunchen
      Animism & Materialism - hmm... Syanorans?
      Animism & Mysticism - Aldryami
MATERIALISM - Mainstream Malkioni, Mostali
      Materialism & Mysticism - Perfecti
MYSTICISM - Kralori, Dragonewts
Polytheism, Materialism & Mysticism - Lunars

     Now, OK, so this is pretty simplified (since, as you say, nothing's really pure) and it doesn't distinguish between monotheist and atheist materialists, for example. I suppose if you wanted to turn it into a chart it would be a square with orthogonal and diagonal crosses connecting the corners, but does that really get us anywhere? This is not to say that the basic idea of classifying the worldviews of Gloranthan cultures into groups is necessarily bad - and I'm sure the God Learners did something of the sort - just that the chart seems somewhat misleading with regard to which worldviews are incompatible and are most likely to be hostile to each other.

 Forward the glorious Red Army!

      Trotsky