Void and Mysticism

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 16:51:00 +1200 (NZST)

Julian Lord:

Me>> Shouldn't the Death/Entopy dichotomy be a Creation/Destruction
>> dichotomy? After all the Lunars teach that Chaos/Entropy is
>> merely the Death of the Gods.

>I don't think they're quite the same thing, myself. Creation and
Destruction >leave something new behind, and so does Death. The only thing Entropy leaves >behind is the Chaos Void.

Tsk. To imply the Void is chaotic is a value judgement. Even the entry for Kajabor in the GoG prosopaedia admits that some gloranthans say he is as natural as the forces of creation.

>I dunno, logic seems to be failing here (of course!). The values that are
>transcended in illumination are cultural ones, but does this make the
>transcendant state a cultural or a non-cultural state? RW mystics claim
that >it's non-cultural, I think. Wouldn't Gloranthan Mystics say the same thing?

It depends on how good the mystic is. Bad Mystics by virtue that they can demonstrate physical evidence of their mystical status are evidence that the state is non-cultural. OTOH Good Mystics choose not to demonstrate physical evidence of their mystical status and so mislead impartial observers into thinking the status is cultural.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #42