The only good lunars are?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 17:54:21 +1200 (NZST)

Ashley Munday:

>One thing vaguely has been vaguely swimming about in my mind: What
>happens to those Orlanthi converts that are left around when those pinko
>commy fag subversive Lunars are removed from an area? For example, when
>Argrath comes marching back into Boldhome, relighting holy flames and
>wearing his underpants on the outside of his trousers, is there a purge
>that looks like something out of the Warsaw ghetto?

The Lunar presence in Old Sartar has been dealt a heavy blow with the rising of the Brown Dragon which has eaten most of the bigwigs. But to simply oust all lunar symps is an impossible task because any sartarite resistance was exiled over twenty years of occupation and the remainder have been tainted by collaboration with the lunars.

Your example of france is probably more correct but not for the reasons you suggest. Most of the collaborators punished there were the weaker ones (like girlfriends of german soldiers) whereas the more important ones (like vichy public servants) simply changed sides and pretended that they were resistance figures all along. I suppose some Admiral Darlan type people will get bumped off before difficult questions are asked. To sum up, some reprisals will take place, but most lunars (especially the city dwellers) will hide their affliation.

After a while, the furore will die down and only eyebrows will be raised when Argarth invades Tarsh to lend support to a feuding lunar faction there.

>Presumably, as Orlanth worship was severely discouraged during the
>occupation, Lunar worship will be paid back in kind after the
>liberation.

Orlanth worship is not severely discouraged in Sartar. Certain rituals are discouraged but that is not the same thing.

Jeff Richard:

>>I think this is overstated. If [the rural Orlanthi] do view or fear the
>>lunars are evil, it would be in the necessary evil category like Humakt
>>and Taxes.

>Now, now Peter, Humakt is definitely viewed as "evil" by the Orlanthi.

[Looks for missing 'not']

>>I do feel that [...] religious tie [of the Tarshite militia to Orlanth]
>>[...] comes from traditional blessings conferred upon them by a village
>>initiate. Whether this village initiate undergoes Heort's initiation
>>or is simply a Barntar flunky is a seperate question altogether.

>I doubt there is a specialized village Orlanth god-talker in these
>Lunarized areas, more likely the village god-talker or priest simple
>makes traditional blessings and sacrifices on Orlanth's sacred days.

This is fine by me.

>What, pray tell, is a Barntar "flunky"? All Orlanthi farmers worship
>Barntar and know his rites - otherwise they can't farm.

I was thinking of a specialized village Barntar god-talker. Would such creatures exist?