re: Lay membership; intro; Arming of Orlanth

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 22:21:04 -0800

Jeff Richard wrote

> I will avoid terms like "lay member" like the plague in part
> because they don't work with the new Hero Wars system.

I don't see the need to avoid them in any game system. Lay members are people who show up at a worship service, but aren't initiated. Some cults may try to limit them. Others don't really care.

The thing is, they don't get much from the status in any game system (they got a bit more in RQ2, but RQ3 pretty much gives 'em nothing, and PenDragon Pass follows this).

A lay member is not necessarily the same as someone who's an initiate of Orlanth but whose main religious emphasis is on someone else. I think my character Kerenath, who worships Issaries, would be considered an initiate of Orlanth. He's a man of the clan, and as such is quite capable of filling in for Orlanth in most ceremonies. If he shows up at one of Elena's worship ceremonies, trying to get political brownie points, he's a lay member of Chalana Arroy.

Wesley Quadros wrote

> I remember when I was first introduced to Glorantha. Martin Laurie (our
> GM) just gave us enough info to start so that we understood how our
> character thought. "You are a storm bull, they kill anything they want,
> drink anything alchoholic, and shag everything else" "Ah, you are a
> humakti, you just don't care about anything but your honor and serving the
> lord of death"

This is exactly the sort of thing I'd like to have in Enclosure 3. I'd love to have a good introduction to beginners. I know Issaries, Inc. is planning on creating one, but there's plenty of room for another (and much shorter) version.

Neil Robinson approached the topic in Enclosure 2, but I don't think it can be done too many times.

What's the minimum you need to play Glorantha? Probably not much -- those of you fortunate enough to have Griffin Mountain know that you can start as a cave man at the edge of civilization and pick it up as you go.

So if anyone has thoughts along these lines, please let me know.

On the Arming of Orlanth:

> Sheild of Arran
> - Used to be Ernelda's, I read somewhere that she gave it to
> Babeest Gor, how did Orlanth get his mitts on it?

Shield of Arran is one of the Four Weapons subcults. See River of Cradles.

> a sword "Humakt"

Actually, this is in my Vinga story too -- "Humath is my weapon." Remember the Orlanthi are big on poetry, and often speak figuratively. Even if you're being literal, important weapons have names (at least in my Glorantha), and what better name for a sword? Likewise, calling an Axe "Barbeester" makes sense (or else it really is Babeester Gor).

> It never mentions that he is wearing pants but I am assuming that he does.

Presumably he's wearing them at the start of the Arming.