Barntar and Lodril

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 07:25:22 -0700

Julian Lord writes:
>Yes, absolutely, this is Barntar as I see him too. Similar in function,
>and yet very different in powers to Lodril. And surely, within the
>Empire, there is conflict between the Lodril peasants and the Barntar
>ones.

Couple things about that. For the Dara Happans - anyone who is a agricultural farmer is a Lodrilli or a rebel. In areas where an Orlanthi population have been effectively conquered by Dara Happans (and I can really think of only three such places - Terarir, northern Vanch and Dara Ni/Lakrene), Lodril worship has been imposed-incorporated-whatever.  However Lodril is not a jealous god and will gladly take anyone's worship.  His resentment and hatred has always been focused on his overlords - the haughty Dara Happans.

Another reason that there isn't conflict between Lodrilli peasants and Barntar carls is that they represent different agricultural techniques that exist to work different soils. The Lodrilli of northern Peloria use a Heavy Plow that requires an 8 to 16 ox communal team! [Note that this requires a herd of 50-100 cattle just to maintain!] An oxen team is beyond the resources of single families and is the principle reason why northern Pelorian agriculture is communally-based.

The Theyalans use a light plow requiring a 4-ox team. It is far more effective than the Heavy Plow for the soils of southern Peloria and Dragon Pass. This plow is sacred to Barntar.

The divide between these agricultural techniques can and has been drawn out on a map. Draw a line from Tork to the southeastern Yolp Mountains, with Jillaro and Bikhy being just on the southern edge of the line. North of the line, the "Pelorian" agricultural technique dominates, south of the line is the "Barntar" agricultural technique.

Sure, occasionally some moronic Dara Happan clan (most recently the Eel-Ariash) get some sort of brilliant plan to transplant "Pelorian" peasants elsewhere. In the Second Age, it was on the ruins of Urar Baar to create "New Nivorah", most recently "Pelorian" peasants have been settled in the River of Cradles. These colonies have always failed (the agricultural techniques are not exportable to lands that can't support them effectively) and are generally proof that the Dara Happan upper crust don't have a clue how to do anything outside of Dara Happan (the story of "New Nivorah" - later known as Mirin's Cross - is particularly edifying).

Jeff