Cricket and Golf

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:41:22 EDT

Alex:

<< > Cricket : Surely, a game of inscrutable Kralori Mystics?

 According to an extremely old White Dwarf (back when it was a magazine),  a game of inscrutable aldryami, which seems a pretty good fit to me.  Week-long rituals involving more contemplation and inactivity than  actual running around, but with occassional bouts of frenzied activity,  inexplicably suddenly. And of course, no casual onlooker would have  _any_ idea who was winning... >>

I always liked this idea, because I think cricket, being like watching grass grow, is perfect entertainment for a sentient vegetable. I think the Mostali should play squash. A bit of a release after a busy work period, a nice "inside a cube" type game. They might prefer golf, or even crazy golf, and could collect ornate clubs made of adamant ( the Adamant Nine Iron of Mostal). Mostali would obviously dislike getting caught in the rough because of the nasty growing stuff. The Mostali Reconstruction Plan for the surface world may, in fact, be to turn it all into a huge golf course. Openhandists argue that other races could be allowed to work as caddies whilst Octamonists think that the only Diamonds that count are the ones on their sweaters.

Keith Nellist.