Heretical Lodril Rantings

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 23:21:16 -0700

I'd like to add a bit to Jeff's description of Lodril.

Yes - Lodril is a kind of "Uber EarthGod" for Peloria, who can be worshipped by folks from all over the empire with hardly a change from the local (Pelorian) earth god back home. But he is more than a god of peasants. Lodril derives from the first god, made by the First Goddess (who had some wiggy Peladan name - WHERE is my Entekosiad?) He is the great father & husband, the shaper, the breather of life. Even Yelmies consider him responsible for the "Heat" aspect of living things - one of the solar six parts of a being.

According to the earth mythos, Lodril was old when Yelm appeared on the scene - while the solars conveniently describe him as a "base brother" of Yelm. Lodril is the fire within the earth, that which gives it heat and life. During the darkness he was a victom of Monster Man. He defeated Monster Man by befriending MM's wife (Lodril's great social power is union, not conflict), and himself becomes the keeper of Hell, forgeing"adamant seals of grindingly cruel power". Becoming a bit of monster man himself, Lodril can wield the power of rebellion if necessary. I think the Dara Happans are VERY well aware of this.

If you consider the powers of Lodril and Yelm - earth vs sky, heat & fire vs heat, light & fire, both are highly associated with fertility, both are social organizers, both went to hell and returned - it's easy to begin to view Yelm as merely a horseman's version of Lodril Rex.

Then you begin to see Peloria as a great "Lodrilli" culture, with Earth deities every bit as useful and varied as the storm pantheon to the south. The Dara Happan solar veneer is thin indeed; it just writes the history books.

The Pelorian Equivalent to Ernalda, the spiritual earth, would likely be "Besadesa", an ancient earth goddess who is considered to be the mother of Oria. Her worship is currently becoming more popular, as I recall. And yup, Lodril is her husband, too.)

Lodril rocks!

Pam